February 11, 2013
THE ONE, THE ONLY, HENDO
50 WAYS TO GET BETTER AT CROSSFIT
In no particular order. Previous 25 on February 8th blog. By www.agymlife.com
26. Work on heavy, light, and moderate weighted squats every week. Doing lots of reps will produce big gains for male and females. Squats are king.
27. Practice jumping in all modalities. Over, under, on top of, sideways, backwards, long, short, high.
28. Make sure you have a very good rack position. The barbell should be completely supported by your shoulders and not your hands.
29. Train planks often. And I really mean train them. The results from these come 30 seconds after your arms start shaking. You need some mental toughness for these.
30. Learn to bounce out of the bottom of a squat. For those that have tight hips this can be difficult and that is why you should practice often with a dowel and barbell.
31. Do pistols at least once a week (more the better).
32. Make sure to hit all the major lifts at least once a week. Squat, Deadlift, Press, Bench, Snatch, Clean, Jerk
33. Have a recovery plan: hot/cold water, massage, foam rolling, nutrition, ice, Epsom salt
34. Get your family involved. Who cares if you come off annoying at first. They are your family and you don’t want to bury them do you? If you really love your family you should give a shit if they are killing themselves with shitty food and bad lifestyle habits. Start working on them NOW.
35. Do shoulder dislocates with a dowel every workout. Don’t force them. Move smoothly.
36. Turn the wrists out at the bottom of the muscle-up. This will ensure you reach full extension of the elbows, lats, and shoulders.
37. Do lots of strict dips and negative holds on the rings.
38. Incorporate strongman work into your program. Sled work and the prowler can do amazing things. Walk with a sled attached to the hips as recommended by Louie Simmons
39. Practice heavy farmer carries.
40. Throw things. We’ve been throwing spears and javelins for thousands of years.
41. Wake up to 20 push-ups every morning.
42. Do 30 air squats and 20 push-ups after every meal. No really..this is a awesome recommendation from Tim Ferris in the The 4-Hour Body and I use it all the time. It’s even better after big meals.
43. Walk after every meal. This improves digestion, prevents fat gain, and makes you feel less bloated and lethargic.
44. Do travel or home WOD’s if you can’t make it to the gym. This helps and a travel WOD card.
45. Practice L-sits often. Same with frog stands. These basic gymnastic skills are easy and low-stress movements that can help you become fitter.
46. Listen to your coaches! They see what you don’t see and they know CrossFit.
47. Work on your lifestyle and nutrition. Here are some resources: Cooking Guide, The Paleo Diet, MarksDailyApple
48. Take REST days. I know it’s an insane concept but you CAN’T train every day. CrossFit is very demanding and if you want to live a long life you better realize that your body needs a balance.
49. Take a REST week every couple months. This has done wonders for a lot of my athelte’s.
50. The best thing you can do when training CrossFit is LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. Learn when you push past your red-line and when you need to back off. Learn when you need to rest and when you can still train. Learn what your body responds to and what it doesn’t. Then you can develop a plan that works for you. Everyone is different and has different capacities, never forget this.
WOD for Time:
Complete three rounds:
10 Shoulder to Overhead (135/85)
20 Box Jumps (24/20)
30 Kettlebell Swings (53/35)
Immediately Run 800m