February 8, 2013
“THE 5PM GIRLS”
Ashley, Hailey, Danielle, Teri, Katie, Jenn
NO SATURDAY OR SUNDAY CLASSES
50 WAYS TO GET BETTER AT CROSSFIT
(In no particular order)
1. Gear up. Get oly shoes, some inov-8s or nano’s, a speed rope, some wrist wraps, and some good workout clothes
2. Lift heavy weights regularly. Don’t just stay in comfortable 70% zones. Push your limit…which leads perfectly to 3…
3. Use a spotter and FAIL. If you aren’t missing reps you aren’t training hard enough. Period
4. Work mobility ALOT. Before, After, During
5. Take your training seriously. Always strive to become better
6. Don’t take your training too seriously. Give yourself a break
7. Train with others. It’s just better
8. Show up no matter what. If you aren’t in the mood here’s what you do..walk to your car and drive to the Box. Figure the rest out later.
9. Try to fast before you train. Eating before, during, or after is bulshit hype. When you switch your metabolism over to training without food you will PR more often and feel awesome. You will want to send me a thank you card. You’re welcome.
10. Don’t throw your barbell or any other equipment. It’s just douchey.
11. Warm-up ALOT. Make sure you focus your warm-ups and always practice proper dynamic warm-ups before you train. Not only will this help your results it will prevent injury.
12. Motivate other athletes. To receive you first must give.
13. Practice handstands often. You have to get upside down if you ever want to improve them.
14. For the ladies: have someone spot your ankles as you perform strict pull-ups (push off the spotters hands to assist reps and go for failure). This is the best way to develop the dead hang pull-up I have found.
15. Don’t cherry pick your WOD’s or days. Come on those days that make you want to hide. That is a sign you should be coming those days.
16. Train your weaknesses. Really try to destroy them..this is the only real way you get better in my professional opinion.
17. Utilize your coach’s before and after class. They love to talk training and food and lifestyle so asking them questions and then shut up and listen. You will learn a LOT.
18. Ask other CrossFitter’s for tips and tricks. We are all on different paths in this journey and have learned different things along the way. You never know who you can learn from.
19. Buy a jump rope and size it for you. Then never leave it at the gym.
20. Practice double-unders every day
21. Do a few strict pull-ups every day
22. Do a few one-arm push-ups every day
23. Meditate 5 minutes every day. This can improve your entire life (and CrossFit)
24. Practice your Olympic weightlifting every day with a dowel and empty barbell. The gains you will make doing this are insane.
25. If there is an exercise you are not good at perform 3 sets of 10 as part of your warm-up every day.
(The next 25 next post….)
135 pound Thruster, 15 reps
Run 200 meters
95 pound Thruster, 20 reps
Run 400 meters
65 pound Thruster, 30 reps
Run 800 meters